tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 18 21:17:25 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {'Im}

Teresh000 ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

ghItlh Quvar:

> >>with a mixture of {ngat} ("herbed granulated cartilage") and {tIr}
> ("grain")
>
> >"herbed granulated cartilage"?
>  I've searched many dictionaries, so I somehow understand the words, and I
> could imagine what it is.
> But I can't find another word for it, let stand translate into german.

One method of making pie crust is to cut flour into butter or
lard, which results in small pellets of flour-coated fat. The
flour coats the lard or butter and keeps it from re-congealing.
I always imagined herbed granulated cartilage as something
similar: a thick fatty substance in the shape of pellets coated
with a mixture of herbs (dried and pulverized plant leaves
and/or flowers, maybe).  Or it could also refer to the thick
rubbery ends of bones run through a grinder and then coated
with herbs.

If the {tIr} is also ground up, like flour, then when it is added
to the {ngat}, it may end up producing a kind of dough. This
could be packed around the block of {tlhagh} like modeling
clay around a brick.  When such a thing was put in boiling
oil, it would form a sort of crust, like a baked Brie, only fried.

Yum.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level