tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 15 15:12:50 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {yaH}

Philip:
>I'd have to know the exact definition of "take away" as a translation of
>{nge'} -- is it only "to remove/steal" or can it also be "to take
>someone away (e.g. a prisoner in chains)".

There's no evidence that {nge'} has anything to do with stealing.  Our ONLY
example of {nge'} is {Ha'quj nge'} "take away a sash", an idiom meaning to
"wound one's pride" (cf. KGT 123).  Far from taking something illegally or
surreptitiously, to me this implies that someone in authority has taken
away one's sash, therefore publicly humiliating that person:

   Though originally utilitarian in nature, the {Ha'quj} has taken
   on symbolic functions as well, its ornamentation representing
   the family unit or house ({tuq}) of its wearer. (KGT 61)

For "steal" we have {nIH}, as well as {Hej} "rob" and {qor} "scavenge".

For "remove" we have {teq}, as well as {tuQHa'moH} "undress, take off
(clothes)".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons