tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 14 16:21:55 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: knives

Quvar:

>is it right that a "slender-bladed knife" ist just a skinny one?

   "Some other knives are the wavy-bladed {QIS}, the slender-bladed
   {ghonDoq}, and the {tajtIq}, a knife with a particularly long
    blade that is used almost as if it were a sword."  (KGT 62-3)

I would assume this refers to something line a stiletto or a filleting
knife.  Since Okrand didn't say what the knife is used for, we can't be
sure.  Then there's the {SIjwI'}:

   "Food-preparation knives, of which there are many types, come
   in different sizes and shapes for different cutting tasks... For
   finer work (such as making the slits in limbs needed to extract
   veins), a small {SIjwI'} (literally, 'slitter') is commonly
   employed." (KGT 97)

How this is different from an {ghonDoq} is not known.

>Messer (Dolch) s. taj;
>Messertyp: tajtIq;
>~ zur Nahrungsbereitung warjun;
>Übungs~ ghojmeH taj;
>Schneide~ pe'meH taj;
>schmales ~ ghonDoq;
>Gemüse- oder Obst~ (beschreibt jedes kleine Messer) naH taj;
>Krieger~ (d'ktahg) Daqtagh;
>mit gewellter Klinge QIS.

Other types of Klingon knives are:

{ghojmeH taj} - boy's knife
{may' taj} - battle knife (a d'ktahg?)
{ma'veq} - m'veQ knife (ceremonial knife)
{qutluch} - kut'luch (ceremonial knife; favored by assassins)
{SoS taj} - mother's knife
{'aqnaw} - type of general purpose knife

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level