tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 12:59:08 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {yaH}

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am 13.01.2004 16:42:53, schrieb Steven Boozer <[email protected]>:

>Quvar:
>> > What does it mean to be "taken away" {yaH}
>qurgh:
>>To "be taken away" means that you had something in your possession, until
>>someone else removed it from your possession, ie they took it away from you.

>AFAIK {yaH} has never been used in canon.
too bad! :-)

>Notice that the definition is a passive.

What would that mean?

>How {yaH} "be taken away" is different in usage from {nge'} "take

I don't even know what the english "be taken away" means! Or is everybody confused like me?

>away" is unknown,

So I'll have to wait for Maltz to answer this...

>but {nge'} is used in an idiom in KGT:
>   Ha'quj nge'
>   take away a sash (idiom: "wound one's pride")
>Can you say, [...]
>or does the idiom require {nge'}?

Yes it does.
I have no canon proof for that, but we all know klingons are very strict with traditions and
proverbs, or idioms.

>And then there's {tlhap} "take":
>
>   vItlhapnISpu'
>   I needed to take her TKD