tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 16:12:16 2004

Re: Beginner

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

> Are u serious? that would be cool! The rap thingy.

You'll have to wait till next week, 'cause I'm not home at the moment.

>And what about this
> klingon CD? where can i find it?

Sorry to disappoint you, but Klingon CD is not a CD with Klingon music. It's
a game officially called "Star Trek: Klingon".
The game is an interactive movie, i.e. depending on what you do, the run of
the movie changes.
Personally, I think the game is not that great, but the database behind it
very interesting, because you can stop the game at any time (freeze like a
holodeck) and get information on what you see at the moment.
The more interesting part of it is the Language Lab, which is great to
practice vocabulary and pronunciation.

Find it at:
/stuff/Merchant.html

Read about it on:
http://www.simonsays.com/book/default_book.cfm?isbn=0671317814&areaid=33

Read about the Lab in our Klingon Wiki:
/wiki/index.php?Language%20Lab

> It is the opera part i can't quite conceive of. :)
There is few about operas. Do'Ha'. (unfortunately)

> I am in process right now of going through klingon words and comparing
> similarities or identical ises of words with languages that I know.

There is one funny pun in {DaS} which means "boot".
Marc Okrand found it after he saw the german movie "Das Boot".

The Hebrew word *qo'Hav* is Klingon {Hov} "Star".

The Klingon suffix for locatives {-Daq} is in turkish "-da".

But I think all these are just coincidence! ;-)

Worst of all, the Turkish language Association is abbreviated TDK -- not to
be confused with TKD!!

> Thanks for the info on the stardate.
> weQqul
> HovpoH 4005.1987
>
> Is that better? :)

That's better, yes. You can look how SuStel does it, or maybe even how they
do in Star Trek. There they usually do not use more than one digit: "Stardate
48650.5"

Quvar.