tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 27 05:46:34 2004

Re: [tlhIngan-Hol] Re: Hoch placement

From: "Dar'Qang" <[email protected]>

> Ok.  To summarize:
>
> Hoch Duj : "each vessel"
> Hoch Dujmey : "all the vessels"

Yes.

> Duj Hoch : "the entire vessel"

Maybe.

> Dujmey Hoch : *not sure of meaning*

If any.

> Then the next question would be the plurality for purposes of S/O prefix.
>
> The third one seems clear:
>
> Duj Hoch wInuD : "We examine the entire ship"
>
> but the first two might have some wiggle room that allows for
> language-specific plurality.
> Using DIvI' Hol number sense:
>
> Hoch Duj wInuD: "We examine each ship"
> Hoch Dujmey DInuD: "We examine all the ships"
>
> But is this correct tlhIngan Hol?

TKW p. 51:
Hoch 'ebmey tIjon
Capture all opportunities.
({Hoch X-plural} takes plural-indicating prefix)

TKW p. 74:
DujDaj HubtaHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
To die defending his ship is the hope of every Klingon.
(If {Hoch tlhIngan} were considered to be plural, {tul} would have a {lu-}
on it.  Unfortunately, {lu-} is the most frequently dropped suffix, and it's
*possible* that that's what happened here.)

At least a small bit of canon suggests that Klingon and English agree on
this.

SuStel
Stardate 4157.6

Back to archive top level