tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 26 06:15:05 2004

Re: [tlhIngan-Hol] Re: Hoch placement

From: "Scott Willis" <[email protected]>

That's not right.  The way to say "all Klingons" is explained in (I believe)
HolQeD volume 5 number 2, where Okrand says that {Hoch X} means "each X,
taken individually" if X is explicitly singular, and "all X's, taken as a
group" if X is explicitly plural.

Hoch tlhIngan
each Klingon, taken individually

Hoch tlhInganpu'
all Klingons, taken as a group

As for {tlhIngan Hoch}, there's only slim evidence as to what that might
mean.  SkyBox card S15 has a phrase, {tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej
HochHom }, translated, "most of the 23rd century."  It suggests that when
after a noun, {Hoch} means "all of the noun."

tlhIngan Hoch
all of the Klingon (not part of him)

I couldn't say what {tlhInganpu' Hoch} might mean, if anything, and I cannot
say for sure whether {Hoch} behavior can be used for other count-type words
(like {bID} "half").

SuStel
Stardate 4154.9

Back to archive top level