tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 25 08:32:31 2004

[tlhIngan-Hol] Re: tlhingan-hol Digest V1 #2

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

qon weQqul:
>ok. so tell me how this woyuld be understood: joljanHom? i do not see how
>it
>could mean anything but small transporter device. BTW i just used this as
>an
>example picked out of my head when i asked how this could be worded. i was
>trying to come to an understanding of how some of the grammar works. i
>wasnt
>really out to create new words. although we sure could use some more.
>heheheeh

Well, I have my own wordlist, which I have compiled from the various
sources so everything's in one place.  I recommend that any learner of
Klingon do this -- it helps a lot to learn the vocabulary when you have
to write/type everything out.  Anyways, in that list, I have the two
words: <wovmoHbogh janHom> and <wovmoHwI'>, both of which are words for
lighting devices.  The first indicates a small light (like a Christmas
light) and the second means a lamp.  Now, I believe (Voragh -- can you
corroborate or correct this?) that the first word, and possibly the second,
comes from a Hallmark commercial for a Bird-of-Prey Christmas ornament,
and the Klingon was supplied for that by MO.

On that model, I would suggest: <jolbogh janHom>.

Aside: Interestingly, every time people talk about transporter beams,
we use the word <jol>.  But there's another Klingon word <Qol> which
means to "beam away".  Technically <jol> means "beam (aboard)", though
most of us seem to use it for beaming in any general direction.  Perhaps
the distinction is more important to a Klingon?  Also, has <Qol> been
used in canon?

--
De'vID