tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 25 05:17:04 2004

[tlhIngan-Hol] Re: tlhingan-hol Digest V1 #2

Shamammd ([email protected])

In a message dated 2/25/2004 5:23:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:57:42 -0700
Subject: [tlhIngan-Hol] Re: words that do not exist
From: "Lawrence Schoen" <[email protected]>
The KLI's official position on neologisms is best described as conservative,
and the reason for this is both simple and pragmatic. The meaning of any terms
that are "created" must be readily understood by others, or they are useless
to communication and by extension useless to the language.

This is not to say you can't break the rules. Indeed, it's happened on a
number of ocassions, sometimes deliberately, sometimes through ignorance.
Krankor's column in the last issue of HolQeD lists several examples, and indeed the
word "HolQeD" is an example of a made-up word (later canonized by Okrand and
creating a precedent for naming other sciences).

qon Lawrence

ok. so tell me how this woyuld be understood: joljanHom? i do not see how it
could mean anything but small transporter device. BTW i just used this as an
example picked out of my head when i asked how this could be worded. i was
trying to come to an understanding of how some of the grammar works. i wasnt
really out to create new words. although we sure could use some more. heheheeh
weQqul

Back to archive top level