tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 18 09:18:27 2004

Re: Noun Stressing Question

sangqar ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On 18 Feb 2004 at 0:27, Daniel Abraham wrote:

> In the Klingon Hamlet (appendix II) it's written that noun suffixes can be
> stressed as well if ending in glottal stops. To me personally, this sounds
> as a contradiction to the TKD and not an extension. Is this a canon, or
> non-canon-but-accepted rule? Or an assumption by the translators?

Hamlet:
Nouns are stressed on the final syllable of the stem....However, if any syllable...ends in a
glottal stop, it is stressed instead....Adjacent syllables ending in glottal stops receive equal
stress.

TKD:
In a noun, the stressed syllable is usually the syllable right before the first noun suffix, or the
final syllable if there is no suffix. If, however, a syllable ending in ' is present, it is usually
stressed instead. If there are two syllables in a row both ending in ', both are equally
stressed.

Where do you see a contradiction?

As an aside, I take issue with the warning in that appendix:
[T]he notes in Okrand, while accurate, are not always explicit

nuqjatlh?  chay' ghu' QIjchu'be'lu'?  vIyaj jIH. qay'be'.

> bIjaj

-Sangqar

Back to archive top level