tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 07 00:19:23 2004

RE: KLBC: Genesis 1:1-5

sangqar ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

> {tagh} certainly seems to be useful here, but {-meH}? I think the meaning
> should be heaven and earth were made at the time of the beginning, not
> exactly for its sake.

vIqelqa'DI', bIlugh.  chaq <taghDI'>.

> As for {'u'} - isn't that just as "modern" as {ghor}? Maybe {ngeHbej}, hmm,
> or something entirely different...

chaq <qo'> Dalo'laH.

> By the way, the term "heaven and earth" is indeed an idiom - even in Hebrew
> - but the idiom originates exactly from this place. At least in this
> particular instance it's meant quite literally, unlike other places that I
> can't recall right now when even the bible uses it as an idiom ("heaven and
> earth and all their armies" or something).

Actually, I ws thinking of the Hebrew idiom when I wrote this (I almost never use this idiom in
English.)  The idiom was in my mind because I recently read a defense of *ex nihilo* creation
which claimed that this was indeed an idomatic usage.  The point was that reading it as an
idomatic usage makes it clear that God is creating absolutely everything here, while reading it
literally means that he very well could be creating the heavens and the earth from pre-
existing materials.

mughmeH mIw vIqelDI', tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhnISbe'.  'ach DaH vuDwIj vIDel, vaj tlhIngan Hol
vIjatlhqa':

*ex nihilo*-'e', jIHvaD ram chenmoHmeH mIw'e' lo'bogh Qun. qo' chenmoH Qun, 'ej potlh
ngoDvam.  pagh lo' pagh vay' lo' chenmoHDI', chenmoHwI'na' ghaH.  paQDI'norgh lugh
Harbe' nuv, vaj nuvvetlh qich Qun 'e' Har 'op nuv.  vIHarbe' jIH.  QunvaD, ta'meylIj potlh law',
qechmeylIj potlh puS.  Qun chut Dapab 'e' DanIDqu'chugh, vaj yon Qun.

-Sangqar

Back to archive top level