tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 29 08:19:41 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: jorneb (n)

> >>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, April 29, 2004.
> >>
> >>Klingon word:   jorneb
> >>Part of Speech: noun
> >>Definition:     warhead (of a torpedo)
> >>
> >>Additional Notes:
> >>Listed in EK side of KGT and in the text.
> >>
> >>KGT p. 57.  The warhead of the torpedo is called its {jorneb} (which seems
> >>to contain the verb {jor} ["explode"] but is not otherwise analyzable).

Voragh:
> >Okrand kept this word in mind, for after the publication of KGT in 1997 he
> >revealed {neb} "beak, bill" (n.) in his Klingon bird article in HolQeD
> >10.4 (December 2001).  Although he didn't actually mention {jorneb} in the
> >article, it now seems likely that Klingons call the pointy, exploding end
> >of a missile its "beak" while English-speakers refer to it as a "warHEAD".

ngabwI':
>So, how did the variation(?) {jornub} come about? Canonized typo?

I don't consider publisher's errors to be canon.  (It's not the only one BTW.)

>Or does {jornub} mean something entirely different?

The word is spelled {jorneb} in the KGT text and KGT's English-Klingon
glossary.  It's only (mis)spelled {jornub} in KGT's Klingon-English
glossary.  Since it's {jorneb} in the explanatory text, I consider that the
word Okrand had in mind.  The two glossaries were probably compiled after
he wrote the text, possibly by someone else at Pocket Books.  But for me,
the post-KGT noun {neb} clinches the argument.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level