tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 28 07:21:08 2004

Re: typo? jan kalI'qoS

Voragh:

lay'tel SIvten wrote:
>in this old email, which i think i got from klingonska.org archives, it
>mentions the klingon rendering of "John Colicos" as {jan kalI'qoS}.  of
>course, the
>'k' should be a {q}.  is the 'k' in the original text?

No, it isn't.  The Klingon is a direct copy-and-paste from my files, but
the name is correctly written with a /q/ as {qalI'qoS} in the original.  I
don't know how the /k/ appeared.  Perhaps a glitch during transmission of
the email by me to the List, or from the List to the klingonska.org archives.

>if it is, should it be silently converted to {q} when giving this name in
>klingon?

Of course.  There is no /k/ in Okrand's transcription system.

>and if so, should all such obvious typos be similarly treated?

Always.  Not everyone on the List is a professional typist - not even the
people at Simon & Schuster (Pocket Books), as there are a few typos in TKD
and KGT that were not caught in editing.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level