tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 28 07:25:59 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: choghvat (n)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, April 28, 2004.
>
>Klingon word:   choghvat
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     gangplank
>
>Additional Notes:
>KGT.  Stairway leading to the door of a ship.  See also {letlh}, {ngep'oS}.

   ... the word for "stairs" or "stairway" in most of the Empire
   is {letlh}. One type of {letlh} is a {choghvat}, the stairway
   leading to and from the doorway of a ship. In a couple of dia-
   lects in the Mekro'vak ({meqro'vaq}) region, however, {letlh}
   refers only to the stairway connected to a ship, while {ngep'oS}
   is any other kind of stairway but not one used to enter or exit
   a ship.  [KGT p.29]

(BTW, I always suspect a pun in Okrand's two- or three-syllable words, but
if there is one in {choghvat} or {ngep'oS}, I haven't figured it out!)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level