tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 27 13:55:05 2004

Re: 'uD vs. 'uD'a' ?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ghunchu'wI':
>Klingon doesn't seem to have very many examples of such shortening.  A word
>like {wovmoHwI'} isn't all that long to begin with anyway.

Three syllables is still pretty long; we've got only a few nouns that are
three syllables (Ha'DIbaH, paQDI'norgh, jabbI'ID, HIDjolev are some).  True,
verbs can get longer with the addition of suffixes, but I've rarely seen
{-wI'} nouns longer than three syllables. {qIp'eghchoHtaHwI'} would work;
it's just that you see such things very rarely.

>And why do you assume it's a common word that gets used often?  Lamps
>aren't
>likely to be important in a battle situation where clipped speech is the
>rule.
>I know *I* rarely speak of light bulbs and fluorescent tubes unless I'm
>replacing one.

{wovmoHwI' yIchu'} "Turn on the light!" is hardly an uncommon sentence;
seems like I'm telling my brothers to do that every single day, and I say it
so often that I want to clip it in *English*, let alone Klingon. :)

QeS lagh

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp?banner=emailtag&referrer=hotmail

Back to archive top level