tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 26 13:10:16 2004

Re: Star Trek: Customizable Card Game (-lu' + -laH + noun-noun)

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

SuStel:
>>Instead of /choH/ "change," consider using /lIH/ "adjust," or maybe even
>>/pupmoH/ "make perfect."  Or maybe a combination of terms to equate with
>>"customize" (for which /choH/ is not adequate):
>>
>>    Quj chenmoHlu'bogh 'ej lIHlu'bogh
>>    game which is built up and adjusted

I think you mean <lIS>, which is a good suggestion.  I used <wIv>
because it was a literal translation, but now that I think about
it, the point is not merely to choose, but to do so in a fashion
that is beneficial to the player.  <lIS> has this connotation.

quljIb:
>Ah, but one of the selling points of CCGs is the fact that YOU can build up
>and adjust the game.  Thus IMO, the "2nd person approach" is more
>appropriate.
>
>     <<Hov leng>>; Quj DachenmoHbogh 'ej DalIHbogh!
>      "Star Trek"; the game You build up and adjust!

That's a good point.  A Klingon advertiser might be more direct and
aggressive.  Rather than the bland "customizable card game", a
Klingon might phrase this as "card game that you control".

Somehow the words <nav let> "card" got dropped along the way.
Adding them back, we have:

<Hov leng nav let Quj DalISlaHbogh 'ej DaSeHlaHbogh>
Star Trek: the card game which you can customize and control

maj.  mubelmoHbej.

--
De'vID

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*