tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 24 18:49:53 2004

Re: 'uD vs. 'uD'a' ?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ghunchu'wI':

>(My guess is that Okrand intended {'uD} to refer to something which emits
>light, but now it's officially translated the same as {'uD'a'} "laser".)

That's an interesting point. {'uD Haqtaj} could still have {'uD} referring
to a light-emitting source in general rather than a laser in particular, to
distinguish from a {baS Haqtaj}. That would explain why we have the verb
derivations {wovmoHwI'} and {wovmoHbogh janHom} instead of one simple noun
root for "light source".

BTW, I asked this question a while back, but got no response one way or the
other: Do the members of the list see a significant difference between
{wovmoHwI'} "light, lantern" and {Sech} "torch"? Would {Sech} refer to a
stick-with-a-fire-at-the-end kind of torch?

For my money, I've always thought that an {'uD} would be more like a laser
pointer, and {'uD'a'} like the laser Goldfinger uses on James Bond.

{jIjatlh DapIH'a'?} {ghobe', Bond qaH, bIHegh vIpIH!} {{:)

QeS lagh

Personalise your mobile chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
http://ringtones.com.au/ninemsn/control?page=/ninemsn/main.jsp

Back to archive top level