tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 24 11:06:00 2004

Re: 'uD vs. 'uD'a' ?

>>What's the difference between {'uD} and {'uD'a'}?
>
>The short answer:  We don't know.

The long (and speculative) answer:  One is a transcription error which got
canonized.

Will Martin has been "keeper of the New Words List" since well before the
New Words List was official.  He collected and annotated all the post-TKD
vocabulary, including the {veS QonoS} words.  He made at least one minor
error (e.g., listing {woj} as "sterilize") which was not corrected before
he printed fancy copies of his list.  He presented Marc Okrand with one
copy at {qep'a' wejDIch}, about the time Okrand admitted to not having a
comprehensive, organized list of words himself.

I don't remember with certainty if {'uD} "laser" was in that printed list,
but I know Will's electronic copy had it in place of {'uD'a'} at some
point.  I suspect it was, and got incorporated into TKW (along with the
previously mistaken translation of {woj}).

(My guess is that Okrand intended {'uD} to refer to something which emits
light, but now it's officially translated the same as {'uD'a'} "laser".)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level