tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 12 08:38:54 2004

Re: 'uD vs. 'uD'a' ?

ghel bIjaj:

>What's the difference between {'uD} and {'uD'a'}?

The short answer:  We don't know.

>(without any access to the HQ 1:3 or some kind of {veS QonoS} archive).

"veS QonoS" was the newsletter of Mortas-Te-Kaase, a defunct Klingon fan
club.  Some new words from Marc Okrand appeared in a 1990 issue; a few of
these were later used in "Conversational Klingon".  The entire list was
reprinted by permission of both Okrand and the club in HolQeD 1.3 and
reprinted again in HolQeD 5.4 as part of a cumulative "Post-TKD" word list.

>  Both are translated as "laser" as far as I can determine

Our only clue is {'uD Haqtaj} "laser scalpel", which also appeared in that
"veS QonoS" list.

Practically, the difference in no doubt one of scale, size and/or power.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level