tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 22 18:23:43 2004

Re: Probability

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

SuStel:
>I feel quite confident that a Klingon weather reporter would dispense with
>all this wordiness.
>
>wa'leS SIS: SochmaH vagh vatlhvI'.
>It will rain tomorrow: 75%.

This is fine for high (> 50%) probabilities... but what if it's
much lower?

<wa'leS SIS: wa'maH vatlhvI'>
It will rain tomorrow: 10%.

In that case, it might be better to say that it (likely) *won't*
rain tomorrow.  Or consider the borderline case:

<wa'leS SIS: vaghmaH vatlhvI'>
It will rain tomorrow: 50%.

Will it rain or won't it?

SuStel:
>However I agree that Klingons must have some way of talking about
>probabilities: some areas of science require it.

I'm actually trying to describe a scientific experiment, but
I used the weather example because it's less technical.  In
retrospect I should have abstracted to coin-tossing or dice-
throwing.

--
De'vID

MSN Premium helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*