tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 04 18:21:27 2004

Re: megh'an / 'er'In

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Se'noj le'umaS" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 9:01 PM
Subject: megh'an / 'er'In

> Savan,
> I was wondering, what is the difference between a stick's megh'an and its
> 'er'In? Is it an arbitrary difference, or is there some difference between
> the two?
> Se'noj

If neither end of a stick, rope, etc has been referred to yet, then either
end can be referred to as {megh'an} OR {'er'In}. However, once the arbitrary
decision has been made to call one end by one of these words, the opposite
end *must* be the other word.

{jI'agh}
I have a stick, whose ends I will call north and south.
I haven't yet described either end. Either one could be a {megh'an} OR an
{'er'In} at this point.
I proceed to call north the {'er'In}. At this point, south becomes {megh'an}
by default.
Within the context of that conversation, every time I say {megh'an}, I will
be speaking of south.

{megh'an} and {'er'In} were described in HolQeD 12:2, and more detailed
information on their use can be found there. I also welcome further
questions or clarifications.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute