tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 02 16:55:42 2004

Re: 'e' / about

From: "QeS lagh" <[email protected]>
> >And finally, as ghunchu'wI' pointed out, in the first example there's no
> >need to get so fancy.  /tlhIngan Hol SoQ vImuch/ "I present a Klingon
> >language speech" works (though there is a little ambiguity: is it a
speech
> >in Klingon, or a speech about Klingon?).
>
> That's part of the reason why I chose to try {tlhIngan Hol'e' SoQ vImuch}.
> Voragh has already pointed out that {jatlh} might be more appropriate, and
> agree. But with the PowerPoint presentations, slides, videos and bells and
> whistles that go with many of my university lectures, I think {much} might
> still be appropriate. :D

I agree.  /jatlh/ is not the defacto word to use with /SoQ/.  Okrand was
explaining how to use /jatlh/, not how to use /SoQ/.  Klingon /SoQ vIjatlh/
can be translated with English "I give a lecture," but the two don't say
exactly the same thing.  If it were valid to say "I speak a lecture" in
English, that's how you'd translate the Klingon.  English "I give a lecture"
is more closely expressed with Klingon /SoQ vImuch/.

SuStel
Stardate: 4254.7

Back to archive top level