tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 01 14:53:08 2004

Re: "also" with noun

From: <[email protected]>

> I don't have my TKD with me, so I can't check the exact quote, but I don't
> have any problem with {je} on a single noun.  I think it clearly implies
> "also", and I'm sure I've used it that way for years.

TKD p. 54:
The noun conjunction je has an additional function: when it follows a verb,
it means also, too.

                                qaleghpu' je  I also saw you, I saw you too

 As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous: I and others saw
you or I saw you and others.  The exact meaning is determined by context

This use of /je/ meets the "me too" usage that everybody's thinking of
(though it's not identical to it).  (There's nothing in TKD to suggest that
/jIH je/ is a legal construction.)

SuStel
Stardate 4251.7

Back to archive top level