tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 01 15:01:03 2004

Re: "also" with noun

ter'eS:
>I don't have my TKD with me, so I can't check the exact quote, but I don't
>have any problem with {je} on a single noun.  I think it clearly implies
>"also", and I'm sure I've used it that way for years.

I think a lot of us have been using {je} like {neH} but as I mentioned in
another post a few minutes ago, I checked my notes for examples of {je}
following a single noun.  To my surprise, there weren't any.  I did find
this edited quote from TKD (p.55):

   The conjunctions joining nouns come after the final noun. {DeS 'uS je}
   "an arm and a leg" ... The noun conjunction {je} has an additional
   function: when it follows a verb, it means "also, too".
      qaleghpu' je
      I also saw you.  I saw you too.
   As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous: "I and
   others saw you" or "I saw you and others". The exact meaning is
   determined by context.

I'll have to check the complete text of TKD, as well as KGT, when I get home.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level