tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 01 14:33:39 2004

Re: "also" with noun

[email protected] writes:
> >> Following verbs, {je} means "too", or "also". Following more than one
> >> noun, it means "and".

MorphemeAddict:
> > is there a way to say "also" with a noun, or is "je" after the verb the
> > only way to say "also"?

ngabwI':
>According to pg 55 of TKD, {je} after nouns is strictly a conjuction for
>nouns.
>
>{pa' chu' neH be'nI'wI' je} sounds like "My sister and wants a new room."
>
>It looks like a word was left out in both languages. While I wouldn't go so
>far as to say that {je} following a verb is the *only* way to say "also", I
>would definitely say that {je} can't be used after only a single noun.

{je} doesn't apparently work like {neH}, though I must admit that I had to
check my notes to see if there were any examples following a single noun.

   pa' chu' neH je be'nI'wI'.
   My sister wants a new room too.
   My sister also wants a new room.

As in English, this can mean either (1) she wants a new room in addition
to, say, a new car; or (2) she  wants a new room too, say, because her
brother is getting a new room and she doesn't want to be left out.  For
option (2), we might try using {-'e'} to show a shift in topic from the
brother to the sister:

   pa' chu' neH loDnI'wI'.
   My brother wants a new room.

   'ej pa' chu' neH je be'nI'wI''e'.
   And my sister wants a new room too.
   And as for my sister, she also wants a new room.

though I can't guarantee how Maltz might interpret the subtext.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level