tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 01 06:55:30 2004

Re: ghunchu'wI' QIn vIyajmeH QaH vIpoQbej./KLBC

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 2:11 AM
Subject: Re: ghunchu'wI' QIn vIyajmeH QaH vIpoQbej./KLBC

OK, I have my hot chocolate. I'm ready... }}: )

> Although it (the verb {yIv} "to chew") wasn't listed in TKD as a slang
word, it might be found
> elsewhere; possibly  in KGT, since it is my understanding that a lot of
slang
> words are found there.

bIlughbej. pg 167.

> I think this should have been
> written: vIparHa'qu'mo' mu'tlheghlIj'e', vIlo' je.

This means "Because I like it, I will use *your sentence*" Punctuation
notwithstanding, it makes perfect sense. You wish to use the other person's
sentence (as opposed to your own) because you like it. Nothing wrong with
it.

> also i
> think i remember someone else telling me something very similar to what
you
> did about needing to use the noun on both sides of the sentence,

I'm not sure what you're speaking about, but the only thing a Klingon
sentence *needs* to have is a verb. Period. Everything else is gravy.

{jI'agh} "I'll demonstrate":

{vut} "He/she/it/they cook/s."
This single word, all on its own, is completely legal, and so is a sentence
in its own right.
Now, if you want to make it clear that is it a Romulan that is cooking:

{vut romuluSngan} "The Romulan/s cook/s"

More specific, but it does not invalidate the grammaticality of just plain
{vut}.

More gravy:

{ghevI' vut romuluSngan} "The Romulan prepares serpent worm sauce."

(Pun absolutely intended.) }}: )

All three above are legal Klingon sentences, including the one with no noun
in sight.

Is this what you were asking? Or have I missed the mark entirely?

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/