tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 26 22:24:59 2003

Re: KLBC [plasma?]

knera wrote:

>Is there a word or phrase for plasma conduit?  I can't find plasma in TKD
>or KGT.

That's a tough one.  Okrand has never translated "plasma", but according to
my dictionary:

   PLASMA
   a collection of charged particles (as in the atmospheres of stars or in
   a metal) containing about equal numbers of positive ions and electrons
   and exhibiting some properties of a gas but differing from a gas in being
   a good conductor of electricity and in being affected by a magnetic field

Although we might be able to translate the definition (more or less), I'm
not sure we could come up with a simple, accurate rendering for "plasma".

Some vocabulary for those who want to take a stab at this include {tat}
"ion", {SIp} "gas", {'ul} "electricity", and {tlhuD} "emit (energy,
radiation)".  The only particle we know of is {'otlh} "photon".

If you need something right away, the best I can suggest is *{'ulSIp}
which, although not scientifically accurate, does follow the model of
{bIQSIp} "hydrogen", {voQSIp} "nitrogen" and {yInSIp} "oxygen".  Or perhaps
*{SIpqoq}?

As for conduit, we have {'och} "tunnel", whose definition was expanded in
the BoP Poster:

   HoS QaymeH 'och
   power transfer conduit

   nuH HoS 'och