tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 19 19:18:25 2003

Klingon sounds and IPA (was Re: {oy}, diphthong or V+C)

ja' qeyS:
>About describing the phones of each Klingon phoneme; on
>www.klingonska.org, it seems to me that the underlying
>phoneme system of the roman-Klingon orthography is given
>yet between square brackets (as they do wrong is most
>dictionaries) thus indicating realisations of the phonemes
>instead of the theoretical basic value of each letter.

I don't understand the distinction between "phoneme" and "basic value of
each letter".  In a phonetic system such as we use for Klingon, aren't they
the same thing?

>At
>least it is the first page that I have seen in which they
>use IPA to discuss Klingon sounds. Any other sites I might
>not know of?

IPA is what Klingon sounds *began* with.

The transcription we use, the one described in TKD, was invented so that 1)
it could be typed in a movie script, and 2) it could be read without a
great deal of study on the part of the actors.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level