tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 20 10:18:30 2003

Re: Klingon sounds and IPA (was Re: {oy}, diphthong or V+C)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:17:39 -0500
  Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>ja' qeyS:
>>About describing the phones of each Klingon phoneme; on
>>www.klingonska.org, it seems to me that the underlying
>>phoneme system of the roman-Klingon orthography is given
>>yet between square brackets (as they do wrong is most
>>dictionaries) thus indicating realisations of the
>>phonemes
>>instead of the theoretical basic value of each letter.

>I don't understand the distinction between "phoneme" and
>"basic value of
>each letter".  In a phonetic system such as we use for
>Klingon, aren't they
>the same thing?

I'm not making a distinction here between "phoneme" and
"basic value of each letter", but I'm saying that on that
"klingonska" page the phoneme signs (using IPA) are mapped
to the roman orthography (which is indeed basically a
one-to-one relationship) but that square brackets are used
there, which is usually used to indicate REALISATIONS of
phonemes, instead of the theoretical value they have.

>>At
>>least it is the first page that I have seen in which they
>>use IPA to discuss Klingon sounds. Any other sites I
>>might
>>not know of?
>
>IPA is what Klingon sounds *began* with.
>
>The transcription we use, the one described in TKD, was
>invented so that 1)
>it could be typed in a movie script, and 2) it could be
>read without a
>great deal of study on the part of the actors.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

But then IPA signs are used for both phonetics AND
phonology, despite the fact that it is the International
PHONETIC Alphabet. Now, having overheard (or over-read)
discussions on this thread on the pronuncation of the
diphthong {oy}, I'm quite sure by now that everybody has
their own realisation of the Klingon sounds of which the
PHONEMES (and not the realisations, since the phonemes are
purely theoretical base values) are represented by the
Klingon roman orthography.

At least, that's how I see it.

--qeyS--

Back to archive top level