tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 07:25:37 2003

Re: {oy}, diphthong or V+C

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 17:39:11 +0000
  "Sangqar (Sean Healy)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On a side note, I wonder if anyone has gone through and
>described the phones of each Klingon phoneme, especially
>in light of the information given in KGT about various
>dialects.  It might make a good HolQeD article.  (Or at
>least a Wiki page.)
>
>To sum up my position: the combination {oy} (in the same
>syllable) is orthographically (and most likely
>phonemically) a vowel followed by a consonant, but
>phonetically, it is almost certainly a diphthong.
>
>>-- ghunchu'wI'
>
>Sangqar

Having started this thread, I'm glad at least someone got
my point. Thanks.

About describing the phones of each Klingon phoneme; on
www.klingonska.org, it seems to me that the underlying
phoneme system of the roman-Klingon orthography is given
yet between square brackets (as they do wrong is most
dictionaries) thus indicating realisations of the phonemes
instead of the theoretical basic value of each letter. At
least it is the first page that I have seen in which they
use IPA to discuss Klingon sounds. Any other sites I might
not know of?

--qeyS--

Back to archive top level