tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 17 09:20:45 2003

Re: Difference between {tlheD} and {mej}

ngabwI':
> >What is the difference between the verbs
> >{tlheD} and {mej}, both meaning "to leave, depart"?

Quvar:
>{tlheD} is from TKD, only "depart"
>{mej} from the addendum, "leave, depart"
>
>I know many examples for {mej} but none for {tlheD}

mej

   bImej
   You leave. STC:KLS

   ghorgh mamej?
   When do we leave? CK

   vagh rep bImejnIS.
   Check-out time is five a.m. CK

   bImejDI' reH betleHlIj yItlhap
   Never leave without your bet'telh. TKW

tlheD

   No examples in canon.

>I believe that {tlheD} means *only* "depart", like we know from the
>airport's departure gate, when you go on a planned trip. (MO also gave us
>the opp. {paw} "arrive")
>{mej} might be more general, meaning "leave" as "go away"
>[e.g. he has "left" the room, but did not "depart"]
>
>   {mej 'ach wej tlheD}
>   "she left, but she isn't gone yet"
>
>Can anyone correct me, if I'm wrong with my interpretation,

You may be right, but this is merely speculation.  Since we have no
examples of {tlheD} in canon, we can't compare its usage to the examples of
{mej}.  For all we know, {mej} may apply to people while {tlheD} applies to
vehicles (or space ships).  AFAIK, neither word is mentioned in KGT either.

We'll have to add this to the list of outstanding questions for Maltz.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level