tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 03 20:40:24 2003

Re: {oy}, diphthong or V+C

ja' qeyS:
>Then again, I assume that, phonetically (on the
>realisational level) it doesn't really matter that much,
>does it, whether the sound represented by {y} in this
>(Klingon) context should be considered a vowel or consonant.
>Please enlighten me!

Are English "l" and "r"  considered vowels or consonants in similar
contexts?  They can do things very much like a diphthong-creating vowel,
but the typical definition -- and the general consensus -- is that they're
consonants.

Klingon {y} is a consonant.  It appears only in places that other Klingon
consonants appear, and it never appears in places that only vowels appear.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level