tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 03 07:52:42 2003

Re: {oy}, diphthong or V+C

From: "C. Krottje" <[email protected]>
> I don't want to go too much into the phonetics here but I
> assumed that {oy} was considered a diphthong since it was
> described as a separate 'sound' in the TKD (like {aw}, {ew},
> {Iy}, etc.)

That's not quite how it's described.  The text says, "Note that when a vowel
is followed by w or y, the combination of letters may not represent the same
sound it does in English spelling."  It is not describing a system
dipthongs, it is just telling the English native reader that some
combinations don't sound the way they might look like they sound.

SuStel
Stardate 3169.2

Back to archive top level