tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 03 07:57:19 2003

Re: {oy}, diphthong or V+C

qhItlh Alan Anderson:

> > >That
> > >the final vowel and the /oy/ diphthong are turned into a
> > new
> > >sound (diphthong or triphthong).
> >
> > {oy} in the Klingon endearment suffix is not a diphthong.
> > The Klingon {y}
> > there is a consonant.

ghItlh qeyS:

>I don't want to go too much into the phonetics here but I
>assumed that {oy} was considered a diphthong since it was
>described as a separate 'sound' in the TKD (like {aw}, {ew},
>{Iy}, etc.), <snip>

Does anyone actually pronounce this combination as a consonant?  That is, as
/oj/ instead of as /oI/ (to use an approximation of IPA).  It's certainly
possible to spronounce it as a consonant, but MO seems to think it should be
a diphthong; in the TKD Appendix, he says:

...a rough pronunciation for each expression is given.  The letters can be
read with their normal English values...

The combination "oy" does appear in the pronunciation guide, where it
describes the Klingon combination {oy}.  Thus {oy} should be pronounced
roughly the same as "oy", which to me indicates it's a diphthong.

In the word {choyaj'a'}, the letters {o} and {y} definitely reperesent a
vowel an a consonant, but they're in different syllables there.  When
they're in the same syllable, they should almost certainly be a diphthong.

For those who have spoken him, how does MO actually pronounce {oy} when the
letters are in the same syllable?

Sangqar