tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 09:29:21 2003

Re: OMF: BG, DaSov'a'?

At 06:59 AM Friday 7/18/03, you wrote:

>Once again I quit lurking and write a message - as usual, first comes
>the klingon text, then the intended meaning. I'm not sure if I the
>words I used are used in the right way, but I hope the meaning is clear.

Since it appears that the BG Quvar hasn't responded, I will.

Your Klingon is pretty good, so I'll just give the corrected sentence
(based on your English translation) and a few comments to save
time.  Sometimes I'll give you more than one suggestion.  If you don't
understand my point or choice of words, don't hesitate to ask me.

>roD Quj *Daq QInmey*Daq jIghItlhtaH, tlhIngan QIn vIghItlhpu'.
>I wrote a message at a [game?] message board I usually write on.

roD Quj jabbI'IDghomDaq jIQumbogh QIn vIqon.

*{jabbI'IDghom} "mailing list, newsgroup, BBS" is what we normally use on
the tlhIngan_Hol List.  It was coined before {QIn} appeared in KGT.

>'u' ngaDtaHmeH 'ej jIqeqmeH, Qujvetlh qel QIn, vIghItlhlI'.
>In order that the universe stays stable, and too train myself, I am
>writing a message concerning that game.

ngaDtaHmeH 'u', 'ej jIqeq'eghmeH, Qujvetlh qelbogh QIn'e' vIqonlI'.

>*OMF:BG* 'oH pongDaj.
>*OMF:BG* is it's name.

*OMF:BG* 'oH pongDaj'e'.

>*One Must Fall: BattleGrounds* 'oS 'oH qor "lujnISlu': vIq Daq" DamaSchugh.
>It "means"/represents *One Must Fall: BattleGrounds* or "lujnISlu': vIq
>Daq" if you prefer.

*One Must Fall: BattleGrounds*, <<lujnISlu': che'ronmey>> (DamaSchugh) ghap
'oS.

*One Must Fall: BattleGrounds* 'oS pagh <<lujnISlu': che'ronmey>>
(DamaSchugh) 'oS je.

*One Must Fall: BattleGrounds* 'oS; DamaSchugh <<lujnISlu': che'ronmey>>
'oS je.

{che'ron} is "battlefield", which means the same thing as a "battle
ground".  *{vIQ Daq} "combat site" isn't bad, but it could also mean
something as small as a boxing ring.  *{ghobmeH Daq} "place for doing
battle" would be another way to go.

>QujDaq ghobtaH qoqmey.  rut Suvchu' bIH.
>Robots battle in the game.  Sometimes to the death.

qaStaHvIS Quj, ghobtaH qoqmey.

bIQujtaHvIS, ghobtaH qoqmey.

{-Daq} "in, on, at, etc." is always a physical location.  It's used much
less often than the corresponding words in English.

Putting the two sentences together, instead of {ghob} you can contrast
{Suv} with {Suvchu'}:

bIQujtaHvIS Suvchuq qoqmey; rut Suvchuqchu'.

>qoqmey SeH QujwI'pu'.  DaSeH SoH.
>The robots are controlled by players.  YOU control them.

Good.

>motlh ghop vIq lo' bIH, 'ach rut nuHmey lo'.
>Mostly they use hand combat, but sometimes they use weapons.

motlh ghop vIq lulo', 'ach rut nuH lulo'.

motlh moQbara' lulo', 'ach rut nuH lulo'.

>Quj ngo' DaSov, rur'a'?  vItul.  nubwI'Daj 'oH *OMF 2097*.
>Does it resemble an old game you know? I hope so. *OMF 2097* was its
>predecessor.

Quj ngo' DaSovbogh rur'a'?  'e' vItul.  nubwI'Daj 'oH *OMF 2097*'e'.

>Quj noypu' 'oH.  DaH Quj chu' lulInglI'.  tugh 'oHbeH.
>A once famous game. Now they are producing a new game. Soon it will be ready.

I'm not sure whether {-pu'} can be used on a quality used adjectivally like
that.  (I think that only the Rovers {-qu'} and {be'} can be so used.)  But
you can re-word it to make {noy} the main verb:

noypu' Quj.
The game was once famous.

Also, I've never seen {-beH} used on a pronoun, but if you can put Rovers
and aspect suffixes on them, I don't see why not.  Another way is to use
the verb {Quj}:

tugh QujbeHlu'
Soon the game will be ready to be played.

>DaH jItlhuchpu'. *www.omf.com* DaSuch, yIruch!
>I'm exhausted now. Go visit *www.omf.com*

DaH jIDoy'qu'.  *www.omf.com* yISuch, yIruch!

DaH jIQop.  *www.omf.com* yISuch, yIruch!

{tlhuch} "exhaust" probably refers to exhausting {taQbang} "exhaust" (i.e.
waste products); if Okrand meant to be very, very tired, he would have said
"be exhausted" (he's usually precise with his glosses).  Use {Doy'qu'} "be
very tired" or, even better, the slang term {Qop} "be worn out" (literally
"be dead", i.e. be dead-tired).  Either way, don't add {-pu'}, which marks
the completion of the action of the verb.

Also, "go visit" are both imperatives.  See for example:

targhlIj yIngagh! yIruch!
Go mate with your targ! PK

>Corrections welcome,

Well, you asked for it!  <g>