tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 31 09:28:29 2003

Re: KLBC boghmo' 'IHrIStoS malop

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Newton" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 5:14 AM
Subject: Re: KLBC boghmo' 'IHrIStoS malop

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:45:37 -0500, "Scott Willis"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > ngabwI':
> > Excellent! Something to sink my teeth into....

> Philip:
> reH maqeqnIS Hoch, qar'a'? :)
>
> (Is this a good way to translate "we all need to practice?"? Or should
> the verb have a subject of {maH Hoch} or {Hoch maH} or something like
> that?)

An excellent question. There was some discussion (briefly) about a
construction like this back in July, but I don't believe any definite
conclusions were reached. So for now, I will say that I understood your
meaning, and if I had a need to say something like this, I would probably do
it the way you have.

That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. }}: )

> > ngabwI':
> > So your sentence should read:
> > {maHvaD nob DInob.}
> > "We gave gifts to us."
> > I know it sounds a little clunky in English, but I'm positive this
> > is the way to express this. }}: )
>
> Philip:
> Ah, hmm. Even with reflexive objects?

Yes, even with reflexive objects. As you pointed out, you didn't give each
other, you gave *presents* *to* each other. "Each other" is the *in*direct
object of the verb.

> Philip:
> cholughmoHmo' qatlho'.

qay'be'