tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 31 04:08:46 2003

Re: KLBC boghmo' 'IHrIStoS malop

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:45:37 -0500, "Scott Willis"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Excellent! Something to sink my teeth into....

reH maqeqnIS Hoch, qar'a'? :)

(Is this a good way to translate "we all need to practice?"? Or should
the verb have a subject of {maH Hoch} or {Hoch maH} or something like
that?)

> > Philip:
> > 'IHrIStoS
> > Christ
>
> Be careful with trying to transliterate non-Klingon words. Simply
> stick the English (or in this case, Greek?) word into the sentence.
> You provided a translation, which helped immensely, but it did throw
> me for a loop for a couple of seconds, and I suspect that it did
> others, as well.  Beginners tend to try to look up every word, and I
> could not find {'IHrIStoS} in my dictionaries.

*nod*

I didn't come up with it myself, though; I took it from nIchyon's
translation of the Gospel according to Mark into Klingon (
http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/Klingon/mark.txt ).

I figured that something by nIchyon would be, if not canon, then at
least a respectable source, and better than coming up with something on
my own, at any rate.

> Another possibility: you could say something like {toDwI'ma'} "Our
> Savior".
>
> And you would use these on this board only after explaining what the
> word indicates, just as you did for your wife's name, {Hov}
> "Stella".</pause>

I see.

> > Philip:
> > nuSuchmo' ghoS Hov be'nI', Hov me' je
> > Stella's sister and aunt came to visit us.
>
> {-mo'}"because", as a suffix, is used to indicate a reason for the
> event in the main clause to happen. Your sentence says "Because they
> visit us, Stella's sister and aunt approach."
> {-meH}"in order to" fits much better here:
>
> {nuSuchmeH, ghoS Hov be'nI', Hov me' je.}
> "Stella's sister and aunt came to visit us."

Ah! {-meH}! Of course. Thanks.

> > Philip:
> > pa'vamDaq 'oHtaH Sor 'ej Sorvam bIngDaq bIHtaH nobmey.
> > we had a tree there and had presents underneath the tree.
>
> When you use the pronouns as verbs, you must mark the subject with
> {-'e'}:
> {nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?}"Where is the bathroom?" (TKD pg 170)
> {veQDuj 'oH DujlIj'e'} "You ship is a garbage scow" (TKD pg 171)
>
> Your sentence should read:
> {pa'vamDaq 'oHtaH Sor'e' 'ej Sorvam bIngDaq bIHtaH nobmey'e'.}

Ah, right. Thanks. pab 'ay'vam vISov 'ach jIghItlhtaHvIS 'oH vIlIj.

> Going strictly from the canon we have so far, I would say no, this
> sentence doesn't work.

As I feared.

> > Philip:
> > If not, how to express this? I don't think there's a way to say
> > "one another" except with -chuq, but we didn't give one another,
> > we gave *to* one another, so it'd have to be something that can
> > combine with -vaD, presumably.
>
> You're absolutely right! {-vaD} marks the benificiary of the action:
>
> {yaSvaD taj nobpu' qama'} "The prisoner gave the officer the knife."
> (TKD, pg 180)
>
> You can use {-vaD} with pronouns, too.
> So your sentence should read:
> {maHvaD nob DInob.}
> "We gave gifts to us."
> I know it sounds a little clunky in English, but I'm positive this
> is the way to express this. }}: )

Ah, hmm. Even with reflexive objects? On the other hand, I can't think
of any other bit of grammar that would work.

I suppose {maHvaD nob DInob} is probably the best way, then.

cholughmoHmo' qatlho'.

Philip

Back to archive top level