tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 06:31:20 2003

Re: PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME!!

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Newton" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME!!

> Philip:
> And incidentally, I have a feeling {QInmey vIHevbogh bIS'ub} doesn't
> work for "the bottom of the email I receive"

{bIlughlaw'} {bIS'ub} seems to be the beginning of the next clause.

> Philip:
> but I think {QInmey bIS'ubDay vIHevbogh} would mean "at the (bottom of
> the messages) I receive" rather than "at the bottom of (the messages I
> receive)", implying I only receive bottoms.

I think the sentence is ambiguous, through no fault of your own, but I
understood you perfectly. (Perhaps my English gets in the way.)  It really
doesn't make sense that you would receive only the bottoms of the messages,
so this possibility didn't even present itself conciously to my mind.

If you wanted to say that you receive only bottoms, you would probably have
to state this explicitly: {bIS'ubmey neH vIHev}

Notice also the English translation is equally ambiguous. You had to use
parentheses to create emphasis. I don't think there's anybody who would read
the English, and come to the conclusion that you receive only the bottoms.
To get across that idea in English would also require clarification, either
through a second sentence, or verbal emphasis.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/