tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 11 14:19:16 2003

Re: tagh'a jIlIH'egh

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:54:37 -0500, "Scott Willis"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Philip-
>
> Morning! I am ngabwI', the Beginners' Grammarian. It sounds like you've been
> lurking for a while, so you probably already know how to use KLBC. When you
> add KLBC, it's my job to correct your grammar.

Hee. I was wondering whether the BG was going to step up and introduce
himself... but when I thought that, the BG was still the person I
already met in person. In which case, I thought, it would be a bit
superfluous for him to give his complete spiel (which you also omitted,
though).

> 1. It's {tagha'} "finally", not {tagh'a}. Probably a typo, given your
> obvious skill with the language, but just in case...

Indeed, it was a typo. When I got my message back from the mailing list
and saw the subject, I wanted to beat myself over the head a bit. (The
perfectionist part of me, I suppose.) But thanks for calling my
attention to it nevertheless.

> 2. «mu'mey yap vISovlaw'» vIQub.
> I don't think {Qub} can be used like this, in the sense of "to think, to
> believe".  (If I'm wrong, someone will correct me, I'm sure.)
> For this sense, I've seen { 'e' vIHar} "I believe it" used most often, as
> you did in your message.

*nods*

I talked about this with 'ISqu' a bit... there's {vuD} for "opinion" but
no verb "to have an opinion" (and not even all languages use "think" for
that; for example, Greek has a separate verb "nomízo" and German uses
"finden" = "to find" in sentences such as "Ich finde, der Lehrer ist
hässlich" or "Ich finde den Lehrer hässlich" for "I think the teacher is
ugly").

She also mentioned that {'e' vIHar} "I believe it" is used, and also
mentioned {'e' vIHonbe'} "I don't doubt it"... but do we know whether
{Har} "believe" can contain the sense "opine"? Or whether {Qub} "think"
cannot?

But I'll go with {'e' vIHar} if that's the commonly accepted form.

In this case, though, as SuStel pointed out, I was relating the thoughts
in my head rather than describing an opinion, so I felt justified in
using {Qub}. More comments on his message.

> batlh *English* Hol Dajatlhbej

*England*ngan jIH, 'ach *Germany*Daq jIbogh. *England*ngan ghaH
vavwI''e' 'ej *Germany*ngan ghaH SoSwI''e'. puq jIHDI' cha' Hol vIjatlh.

(Incidentally, isn't the usual term {DIvI' Hol} for "English" [the
language]?)

> Welcome to the list!

Thank you.

Philip