tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 02 09:51:17 2003

Re: FROST [was Re: Looking for a Klingon word]

Ky'Phur zantai-Or'Lo asks:

qe'San wrote:
>There isn't a word directly for frost that I am aware of.. probably due to
>the heat and humidity of Qo'noS.

I've come to believe that Qo'noS - or at least the First City region - seen
in the movies and TV episodes - to be a cold place (cf. especially TNG
"Sins of the Father").  How else do you explain the Klingon penchant for
wearing leather and fur year-round?  Such clothing would be intolerable on
a hot, humid planet like John Ford's Klinzhai.  (As we all know too well,
Paramount did not choose to develop Ford's detailed vision of Klinzhai and
the Klingons.)

>                                        There are however words for frozen,
>morning, atmosphere etc but I'm sure a Klingon would not start delving into
>his science degree to find a definition for frost.

Also, Klingons have been on Rura Penthe (and other planets) for centuries
so either way talking about the cold is not theoretical science for
Klingons.  E.g.:

   rura' pente'Daq chuch ngevlaH ghaH
   He can sell ice on Rura Penthe.  (TKW 190)

>I tried to think of what I might say as a Klingon if I woke up one morning
>on tera' and saw/experienced frost for the first time.
>
>Klingonists may well say it was incorrect but IMHO I suspect some may
>understand if in context I said:
>
>   po taD - frozen morning
>
>Of course I'm not suggesting you could use <po taD> in place of "frost"
>but as an exclamation it may work in the same sense that <SIS> can be used to
>just express "it's raining".

I don't know what you mean by saying {SIS} "can be used to just express
'it's raining'."  As a one word sentence, that's exactly what {SIS} means.

>                               Saying that I probably shouldn't compare it to
><SIS> and other such words as they are verbs where I have suggested a noun
>modified by a verb.

Some vocabulary to start with:

{taD} "be frozen" (v.), {bIr} "be cold" (v.), {peD} "snow" (v.), {tet}
"melt" (v.); {chuch} "ice" (n.)

Some alternatives to {po taD} off the top of my head:

   {muD taD}       "frozen weather/atmosphere/(air?)"

   {bIrqu' muD}    "the atmosphere (air?) is very cold"

   {loQ taD}       "it's slightly/somewhat frozen"

   {[loQ] peDlaw'} "it appears to be snowing [slightly]"

and for the actual ice crystals - *{chuchqutmey} - on the ground {yav}:

   {chuchHom}      "minor ice"

   {chuchqoq}      "so-called ice"

   {chuchHey}      "apparent ice"

>I have copied this to the KLI to see if anyone may have any other ideas.

I'm sure others will have their own suggestions.  T'is the season, after all.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level