tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 01 17:00:10 2003

FROST [was Re: Looking for a Klingon word]

qe'San \(Jon Brown\) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Ky'Phur

There isn't a word directly for frost that I am aware of.. probably due to
the heat and humidity of Qo'noS.  There are however words for frozen,
morning, atmosphere etc but I'm sure a Klingon would not start delving into
his science degree to find a definition for frost.

I tried to think of what I might say as a Klingon if I woke up one morning
on tera' and saw/experienced frost for the first time..

Klingonists may well say it was incorrect but IMHO I suspect some may
understand if in context I said:

 po taD - frozen morning

Of course I'm not suggesting you could use   po taD    in place of "frost"
but as an exclamation it may work in the same sense that SIS can be used to
just express  it's raining .  Saying that I probably shouldn't compare it to
SIS and other such words as they are verbs where I have suggested a noun
modified by a verb.

I have copied this to the KLI to see if anyone may have any other ideas.

qe'San