tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 26 11:59:05 2003

Re: Fear me!

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>
> Also, {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of" needs a
> complement:  behave/act as something.

Theoretically, you could leave off the object, as verbs that CAN take
objects but don't have them refer to a general object.

Soj vISop
I eat the food.

jISop
I eat (in general).

tlhIngan vIDa
I behave like a Klingon.

jIDa
I behave (as something in general).

It's icky in English, but it might work in Klingon.  (Or it might not.  I
just don't think it's NECESSARILY true that /Da/ needs an object.)

> {vang} "act, take action" might be somewhat better than {Da}:  {yIvangvIp}
> "Be afraid to act!" and fits in with the proverb:
>
>    bI'IQchugh yIvang
>    If you are sad, act! TKW
>
> I still think, though, that {HIHaj} is the best version offered for the
> vague, general "fear me! be afraid of me!" YMMV.

Ooh!  How about this to represent the original:

HIqaDvIp
Be afraid to challenge me!

Such utterances as "Fear me!" are typically done in an attempt to intimidate
the listener (whether or not the speaker's warning is legitimate).  They are
intended to make the listener acquiesce to the alleged superiority of the
speaker.

SuStel
Stardate 3651.4

Back to archive top level