tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 26 09:26:41 2003

Re: Fear me!

ngabwI' wrote:
>From: <[email protected]>
>
> > yIDavIp
>
>I get something like "Be afraid to behave (as something)" out of this.

lugh ngabwI'.  That's exactly how {-vIp} works according to the examples we
have:

   choHoHvIp
   you are afraid to kill me  TKD

   choHoHvIpbe'
   you are not afraid to kill me  TKD

   choHoHbe'vIp
   you are afraid to not kill me  TKD

   nuqIpvIp
   they are afraid to hit us  TKD

   HIHoHvIpQo'
   Don't be afraid to kill me!  TKD

   pIHoHvIpbe'qu'
   We are not afraid to kill you  TKD

   pIHoHvIpqu'be'
   We are not afraid to kill you  TKD

   pIHoHqu'vIpbe'
   We are not afraid to kill you. TKD

   bIHeghvIpchugh bIHeghpu'
   If you are afraid to die, you have already died. TKW

Also, {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of" needs a
complement:  behave/act as something.  E.g.:

   nepwI' Daba'
   He is obviously lying. TKD

   HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.
   space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
   intrigue and enterprise ... DS99

   yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq
   pIqarD HoD.
   Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard,
   who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

i.e. {nepwI' Da}, {lojmIt Da} and {cho' 'oDwI' Da}.

{vang} "act, take action" might be somewhat better than {Da}:  {yIvangvIp}
"Be afraid to act!" and fits in with the proverb:

   bI'IQchugh yIvang
   If you are sad, act! TKW

I still think, though, that {HIHaj} is the best version offered for the
vague, general "fear me! be afraid of me!" YMMV.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level