tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 21 10:06:45 2003

Re: Grammar question re:tlheD

jIqel asks:
 >> Does tlheD take an object?  If so, is it the place being departed (from)?
 >> /juHwIj vItlheD/ I depart (from) my home?

SuStel:
>I don't think /tlheD/ has been used in canon.

Correct.  {tlheD} "depart" hasn't been used in canon but the synonym {mej}
"leave, depart" has:

   ghorgh mamej
   When do we leave? CK

   vagh rep bImejnIS
   Check-out time is five a.m. CK

   bImejDI' reH betleHlIj yItlhap
   Never leave without your bat'telh. TKW

   bImej
   You leave. (ST:C KLS)

   DorDI' jar mejpu'
   At the end of the month, he/she left.
   ("When the month ended, he/she left") (HQ 12.2:8)

Unfortunately, none of these examples mention the place being departed (from).

>The two most obvious possible answers are
>
>1. /tlheD/ may take the location being departed as its object, as in /yuQ
>wItlheD/ "We departed the planet."
>
>2. /tlheD/ does not take an object.  Thus, /yuQvo' matlheD/.
>
>Regarding possibility 1, and keeping in mind Okrand's interview in HolQeD
>7:4 where he describes verbs of motion, it would be conceivable, I think
>likely, that the object could also take the /-vo'/ "from" suffix: /yuQvo'
>wItlheD/.

Here are the other examples of {-vo'} used with verbs of motion:

   pa'vo' yIjaH
   Leave the room! ("Go from the room!") TKD 28

   naDevvo' yIghoS
   Go away! TKD

   naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
   Can we get to the Great Hall from here? PK

   juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
   During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people from their
   homeworld of Kronos into space... SP1

   tera'vo' Qo'noS vIchegh
   I return to Kronos from Earth. (st.k 7/99)

   yuQvo' jIleng
   I roam away from the planet. (HQ 12/1998)

   ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'
   when spirits escape from Gre'thor  KGT

   may'meyDajvo' Haw'be' tlhIngan
   A Klingon does not run away from his battles. TKW

Note especially the last example with {Haw'} "flee, get out" - pretty close
in meaning to {tlheD} and {mej} - which tips the scales slightly in favor
of SuStel's 2nd possibility.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons