tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 15 05:34:40 2003

Re: ghojmoH...

Lieven (Quvar valer) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am 31.07.2003 02:29:14, schrieb root <[email protected]>:

>ghoj SuvwI'    (The warrior learns)
>SuvwI' ghojmoH (He/She causes the warrior to learn)
>
>To me it seems, that the direct object of a -moH verb is the thing which
>is caused to perform the action...
[...]
>Now, if you take "tlhIngan Hol ghojmoH" that is _not_ "He/She causes the
>klingon language to be learned", but it is "He/She causes the klingon language
>to learn", what surely is not what one wants.

That's exactly how I see it.
jIQochbe'

>But what Su'Stel said surely works nice... I have often read
>split sentences which would always be conjuncted in english.

His name is {SuStel}. ;-)
  And yes, it's true, long english sentences usually become two or more in Klingon. Just look at the
skybox cards for instance.

>Another Topic: I got a pronounciation question:
>If I want to say "ta'vaD jISuv" what do I do between the D of -vaD and the j?
>A short pause in order to pronounce a j or would I speak a j with my tounge
>still at the top of my mouth?

No, cause then it sounds like *ta'va jISuv*.
Besides, the initial sound of {j} is close to the end of {D} -- but not the same. You need to make a
little pause, {ta'vaD, jISuv}

KGT talks about this problem in section 5.1 "Generational differences: Pronunciation and grammar"
(p.138)

Quvar.

Back to archive top level