tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 29 14:32:54 1998

jItlhIj Re: Help

jIQubpa' jIjatlhmo' jItlhIj. jIDoch. jIDochnISbe' 'ach jIDoch.
jIDogh.

Part of dealing with Klingon is taking on a gruff personna. I
tend to be gruff with those choosing to play in this world with
me and defensive of those who may be here by mistake and not
choose to be here.

In this case, I think I went too far. It is likely good to
remind people that it is indeed possible to be unable to
unsubscribe, but I could have done so more respectfully.

Last year, when Reality got a little bigger than I was at the
time, I made a big announcement that I was unsubscribing and
after sending that announcement, I followed the directions to
unsubscribe and... they didn't work. So, I tried it again. And
it didn't work. And I was REEEEALY CAREFUL and tried it again,
this time sending the request from every Email address I've ever
been remotely associated with, and it still didn't work.

By then, I was receiving all these messages about my departure
and it was too embarrassing for me to write back to the list and
say, "Hi, guys. I'm still here. I'm trying to leave, but I'm
still here." So, I became an accidental lurker while I wrote to
Holtej to ask him to manually get me off the list. It took days.

It was an interesting perspective. I got to see what different
people thought of me in my "absence".

And it definitely made me respect that there are people who
really can follow the directions well and still not be able to
get off the list.

So, I gave you a hard time for giving him a hard time, and now,
I'm giving myself a hard time for giving you a hard time.

pItlh.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level