tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 28 18:44:37 1998

RE: Ha'DIbaHHom

This was not marked as KLBC, but I think this needs to be corrected.

lab K'ryntes:

> QapDaq "kitten" tu'pu'.
tu' 'Iv? nuqDaq tu'?

<Qap> is a verb meaning "work, function , succeed", so <QapDaq> cannot
mean anything. I'm not sure what you mean here.

You also wanted to say that YOU found the kitten.

Finally, there is a Klingon animal <vIghro'> which is close enough to a
cat that many of just use the word to mean "cat". It's sort of like
calling a panda a bear, even though it technically is not.

Here's what this sentence should be:

<somewhere>-Daq vIghro' Qup vItu'pu'.

> ghaH pol vIneH.
Klingons refer to animals (even pets) as <'oH>, not <ghaH>, but you can
drop the pronoun if you want to. You also need to say YOU want to keep
it:

vIpol vIneH.

> vISo' mong.
I understand that you hid it, but I have no idea what the the <mong> is
doing there.

> jIyIn nuqDaq Ha'DIbaHmey ghaj chaw'be'.
They don't allow pets at your place, correct. <jIyIn nuqDaq> is not
correct for "where I live", but you are better off with <juHwIjDaq> for
"at my house" anyway. Note that the Klingon <juH> is not, as far as we
know, restricted to nonattached single family dwellings, so it could
apply to appartments as well.

<Ha'DIbaHmey ghaj> is almost correct, but not quite. Who has the pet in
question? You could either say <Ha'DIbaHmey vIghaj> if you wanted to
talk about the rule as it applied to you, or <Ha'DIbaHmey lughajlu'> if
you wanted to talk about it in general. See TKD 4.2.5 for more on
<-lu'>.

Finally, the <chaw'be'> on the end needs <net> to make any sense. See
TKD 6.2.5 for more on <net> and sentences as objects. Also, instead of
<chaw'be'>, you could use <tuch>, which means "forbid" - essentially the
same thing.

Here's what you wind up with:

juHwIjDaq Ha'DIbaHmey lughajlu' net tuch.

You could also consider some different vocabulary choices here: <Saj>
for <Ha'DIbaH>, and <pol> for <ghaj>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level