tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 28 19:42:50 1998

Re: Ha'DIbaHHom

Andeen, Eric wrote:

> This was not marked as KLBC, but I think this needs to be corrected.

HIja'.  qatlho'.

> lab K'ryntes:
> >
> > QapDaq "kitten" tu'pu'.
> tu' 'Iv? nuqDaq tu'?
>
> <Qap> is a verb meaning "work, function , succeed", so <QapDaq> cannot
> mean anything. I'm not sure what you mean here.

I meant to say I found a kitten at work.  I thought since Daq could mean
"at" and Qap meant "work"  I could use them to say "at work".

> You also wanted to say that YOU found the kitten.
>
> Finally, there is a Klingon animal <vIghro'> which is close enough to a
> cat that many of just use the word to mean "cat". It's sort of like
> calling a panda a bear, even though it technically is not.
>
> Here's what this sentence should be:
>
> <somewhere>-Daq vIghro' Qup vItu'pu'.
>
> > ghaH pol vIneH.
> Klingons refer to animals (even pets) as <'oH>, not <ghaH>, but you can
> drop the pronoun if you want to. You also need to say YOU want to keep
> it:
>
> vIpol vIneH.
>
> > vISo' mong.
> I understand that you hid it, but I have no idea what the the <mong> is
> doing there.

I couldn't figure out what I meant with this either until I looked it up in
TKD and saw that "neck" is just below "necessary" in the word list.  I meant
to say, "It is necessary that I hide her."  I just made an error when I
looked it up.

> > jIyIn nuqDaq Ha'DIbaHmey ghaj chaw'be'.
> They don't allow pets at your place, correct. <jIyIn nuqDaq> is not
> correct for "where I live", but you are better off with <juHwIjDaq> for
> "at my house" anyway. Note that the Klingon <juH> is not, as far as we
> know, restricted to nonattached single family dwellings, so it could
> apply to appartments as well.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how to say that.

> <Ha'DIbaHmey ghaj> is almost correct, but not quite. Who has the pet in
> question? You could either say <Ha'DIbaHmey vIghaj> if you wanted to
> talk about the rule as it applied to you, or <Ha'DIbaHmey lughajlu'tu'
> 'Ivtu' 'Iv? nuqDaq tu'?
>

> > if
> you wanted to talk about it in general. See TKD 4.2.5 for more on
> <-lu'>.

luq.  I need to study that part.

> Finally, the <chaw'be'> on the end needs <net> to make any sense. See
> TKD 6.2.5 for more on <net> and sentences as objects. Also, instead of
> <chaw'be'>, you could use <tuch>, which means "forbid" - essentially the
> same thing.
>
> Here's what you wind up with:
>
> juHwIjDaq Ha'DIbaHmey lughajlu' net tuch.
>
> You could also consider some different vocabulary choices here: <Saj>
> for <Ha'DIbaH>, and <pol> for <ghaj>.
>
> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level