tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 20 09:54:39 1998

RE: KLBC - tera'Daq leng wa'DIchwIj

>ja' pagh:
>>In general, English uses noun phrases as titles for stories, books,
>>chapters, etc. There is no reason Klingon has to act the same way. I
>>would suggest something like <tera' vISuch> for a title. Just something
>>to think about.
>
>KGT gives a couple of examples of titles.  One uses a complete sentence
>in Klingon:  {lu qeng}, commonly translated as "The Fall of Kang."  The
>other one I'm thinking of is a mere phrase: {jabmeH}, a cookbook.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

We have more examples than that.  There is the title of TKW,  tlhIngan tIgh:
SuvwI' DevmeH paq.  BTW, Okrand's orginal title was: tlhIngan ghobmey paq
"The Book of Klingon Virtues". This was probably changed at the suggestion of
publisher, so as to avoid confusion with "The Book of Virtues" which had
been published - and copyrighted! - earlier that year by another House.

And don't forget the Klingon titles of each of the SkyBox cards:

	DSN99	Qu'
	SP1	Qo'noS wo'
	SP2	SuvwI' taj
	SP3	tlhIngan wIy
	S7	qIvo'rIt pagh'e'
	S9	qaSDI' nenghep
	S13	tlhIngan qorDu' potlh
	S14	tlhIngan nISwI' beH
	S15	tlhIngan may'Duj, qItI'nga
	S19	QumwI'
	S20	Ha'quj
	S21	Soj
	S25	tlhIngan vaS'a'
	S26	lurSa' be'etor je
	S27	Qo'noS
	S31	Hegh bey
	S32	'oy'naQ
	S33	So'wI'

Note that except for S9, these are all simple nouns or noun phrases.  (S8
"bat'telh: Klingon Sword of Honor" did not have a tlhIngan Hol title.)

The idea that one should use complete sentences for titles in Klingon is not
supported by the evidence.  As in English (as well as every other language I
deal with as a cataloger in the University of Chicago Library), the author
should feel free to use whatever type of title s/he deems appropriate.

--
Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level