tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 20 09:20:36 1998

Re: chay' jura'

>I remember that during the QAO debates someone explained that {chay'} means
>"how, in what manner?", pointing out that {chay'} requests information on the
>method the subject will use to accomplish an act.
>
>The sentence {chay' jura'} obviously comes from TKD Sec 6.4, p 70.
>
>In that it is translated as "What are your orders?", from the literal "How do
>you command us?", I contend now that {chay'} is not limited to asking "how"
>the subject is going to do something; it also comes across as "What kind of a
>response does the subject want/expect?"  "How do you want the answer to be?"
>
>peHruS

{chay'} is further described in TKD p.70:

    The question word {chay'} "how?" may be used as a one-word sentence
    meaning "How did this happen?" "What happened?" "What the --?"

If you want to see {chay' jura'?} used in context, it can be heard in an
untranslated line of dialogue - the sergeant says {jIyajHa'. chay' jura'?} to
Kruge after the Klingon landing party beams down to the Genesis Planet - in
ST3, you can hear someone shouting it in the background confusion (verified
by the Closed Captions) during the attack on Kronos One in ST6, and it occurs
in the untranslated battle sequence heard at the beginning of CK.

Of these, it is the ST3 line which reflects Okrand's original intent, as he
was hired to develop Klingon in order to translate the dialogue in this movie
(c1984).  TKD was published a year later (1st ed. c1985), based on his notes
for this movie.  ST6 followed in 1991, and CK in 1992.

--
Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level